Old February 23rd 19, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default We all talk about

Yes, even the Stemme's engine (a Rotax 914 turbocharged 4-stroke engine)
can fail but, if it does, the glide ratio is...Â* 50:1.Â* Of course, if a
Stemme catches fire, it's often fatal.Â* My plan is to jump (altitude
permitting) - simple as that.

On 2/22/2019 2:25 PM, Dave Walsh wrote:
At 17:36 22 February 2019, Dan Marotta wrote:
That was great reading, but not really useful for self-launch

gliders.Â
In multi-engined aircraft, following an engine failure, the

pilot has
the option of returning to land, ejecting (if so equipped),

continuing
to a maintenance facility (if the aircraft has the

performance), or
motoring along to the site of the crash.ÂÂ* I don't know of

any production
self-launching glider with more than one engine so an

engine failure is
simply the same as a failure of a tow, except for the drag

of the
engine/prop (except in a Stemme).

If you're new to self launch gliders, consider this advice:Â

Plan and be
prepared to have an engine failure as you would plan for an

air or
ground launch failure, only consider the added altitude

required to
return to the runway due to increased drag over a pure

glider.ÂÂ* You
likely won't be able to return to the runway with an engine

hanging up
in the air stream.

On 2/22/2019 9:50 AM, Clay wrote:
As someone about to transition to a self-launcher, this is

very timely.
But great stuff for anyone. Thanks Charlie

--
Dan, 5J

Stemme aside I am pretty sure all manufactures quote the
glide angle with the engine out (erected) and a wind-milling
prop. If I recall correctly a DG400 (17m) was about 12:1, a
DG808 (18m) about 14:1, the Antares 20E is about 30:1 so
depending on where the engine fails a return to the airfield
may well be feasible. The important thing is to have a mind
set during the launch that assumes the engine WILL fail,
because eventually these engines will fail.
Dave Walsh

--
Dan, 5J