Old April 5th 20, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW-15 Impressions

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 1:40:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
For the guys here who are familiar with 1970’s soaring, have any of you owned an asw-15 and what were your impressions of them?

I flew one once many many years ago but it was just an early morning 15 minute sleigh ride and I was a kid. I don’t know how I would fit now (6ft 1in, 190 lbs but not broad shouldered, just long legged).

Hows the weak wx performance? How would you compare against a 201 libelle in climb and run? How much advantage does the cirrus have over it in run when both are dry?
Thanks guys

The '15 is an honest ship with Waibel handling and pretty much the same performance as the Std Cirrus. They have the same handicap.
You would fit in it fine.
If I was looking for a Club class ship, and not trying to be able to also fly Std, I would pick the Std Libelle.
Why?
Libelles have held up much better that 15's or Cirrus's. I own 2 and both still have nice finishes, even at their age. I doubt you will find a Cirrus or '15 that does not need finish work, unless it has already been refinished.
15 and Cirrus are a bit more rugged than the Libelle.
Cirrus is the only one with hinged canopy.
That said, the trailer could be the tie breaker.
FWIW
UH