Old September 17th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default FLARM Technology for the US Gliding Community

On 9/17/2010 12:02 PM, John Smith wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:
Perhaps they could get an FCC waiver to use Flarm in the Worlds task
area, and allow Flarm to work in the task area (and nowhere else in the
USA) and only during the contest period, and only during the day.

I'm not sure they would consider this, as the problem isn't the FCC
but definitely their fear of those insane US liability lawsuits.

Do you know this from speaking with a principal in the Flarm company? Or
is that an assumption?
Why else would they prohibit the use of FLARM not only in the USA but
worldwide when there is a US citizen on board?

If "insane US liability lawsuits" are a problem, how will they avoid the
problem for PowerFlarm?

For that matter, how does Zaon avoid the same problem for their PCAS units?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)