Old March 14th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

Default Help with laws, modifications vs accessories, Regarding Interior lighting.

On Mar 13, 6:05 pm, "Michael"
wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:33 am, "Steve Foley" wrote:

Is this a blanket statement, or are some FSDOs issuing them and some not?

Every FSDO is a kingtom unto itself. I hear there are still a few,
here and there, where the old guys are hanging on, and doing things as
they have always done them, essentially ignoring the directives from
above. Haven't actually seen it.

I know that in the Houston FSDO, unless there is specific guidance for
the field approval (such as for the installation of a GPS), it won't
happen. Owner-produced modifications? Only if you can prove they are
identical to a certified part.

Michael

It is going to get worse. I just got a copy of the SAE journal where
PAMA (Professional Aviation Maintenance Association) has a page and it
seems there is a new notice of proposed rulemaking that would outlaw
the fabrication of replacement parts entirely. If approved then if it
doesn't come from an OEM or a PMA you cannot make it. The rule was
published after the comment period ended. I hope that PAMA, EAA, AOPA
etc. jump all over this one.

I don't think anyone at the FAA realizes what they are doing. They
are not going to make aviation safer by going this route. People will
just go underground. They will make the replacement part and then get
creative in installing it to look like it was thier all the time.
Then they won't make any record of it. Once they start doing that
with simple brackets and doublers they will move on to other parts.
Eventually you will see an entire underground aviation economy where
mechanics will give up thier licenses and continue to work without
regard to the FAA at all. It's already happening in lots of small out
of the way airports but it will spread.

John Dupre'