Old March 5th 04, 03:11 AM
Jay Somerset

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:19:10 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller" wrote:

"Jay Somerset" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:54:52 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"

wrote:

Don't Time That ILS Approach! -
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182042-1.html

I have no problem with the article as far as not continung the approach as

LOC-only one, just vecause you are timing it.

The whole reason to tinme the ILS is in case of GS failure, you can still
locate the MAP. An immediate climb is safe, but any turns on the missed
approach segment assume that you initiated the miss at the MAP. If the GS
flags, the only way you can begin to determine where the MAP is, is by the
time.

So, time all ILS approaches, and use the time ONLY to identify the MAP on

missed approach.

I'd agree with this last, but only in using time as a cross-check to other
measurements such as VOR, DME, GPS. Changing winds and other conditions can
throw time checks out the window very quickly.

If the time is accurate enough to identify the MAP on the LOC approach. then
it is adequate for the ILS appraoch as well. If you are on on ILS approach,
and the GS flags, you really don't want to be messing around with setting up
cross-checks that are only used with the LOC approach, and which you don't
have already set up.

I think we are basically in agreement, but I would emphasize that timing the
ILS is prudent, but as a way to do a missed, and not to convert a flagged GS
into a LOC approah.