Old March 5th 04, 11:07 PM
Ray Andraka

You've got a valid point there, and if he'd put it that way I'd have to aggree with him.
The other valid point raised here was timing as a cross check for the missed. The
instructor I had for a good deal of my inst training always did a "what are you setting
that for" when passed the FAF on an ILS. LIke you said, old habits die hard. Based on
the reasons given here, I'm going to make a concerted effort to start timing the ILSs if
for no other reason, just to make all approaches the same. Thanks guys.

Rob Montgomery wrote:

Ray Andraka wrote in message ...
THat's how I do it, although I've had instructors doing my IPC ding me for not
starting the timer on an ILS. As politely as I can, I remind them that the
times are for a localizer only approach and that if the glideslope screws the
pooch, I'm going missed.

As a flight instructor, I'd ding you on it, too. Now, I don't expect
anyone to convert midstream (I wouldn't do it either), but I've seen
too many pilots get out of the habit of starting the timer at the FAF.
This directly correlates to missing the timer on non-precision
approaches. (I know... I fell into that trap personally, and am still
trying to climb out of it.)

-Rob

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.