Old March 21st 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lonely up there?

"paul kgyy" wrote in message oups.com...
It appeared to be a long time since last hearing from ATC on a recent
flight, and sure enough, "27D can you still hear us?". I still could,
and they transferred me to a local approach control.

Anybody ever just call them up to see if they forgot about you? I did
that once over Toledo.

Sure. Not a rare happening in the western U.S., at all.

Several years ago I was threading between some hot military areas in
New Mexico, and someone else on frequency made that very call.
He said it had been so quiet on frequency he wanted to be sure.

The controller replied that we had lots of nearby military activity,
but it was all using UHF frequencies for their gunnery practice.

The questioning pilot said he "...hoped they aren't using me as a target",
whereupon the controller replied "Well, I wasn't supposed to tell you."

There was a horrified pause for just a moment until the controller
confessed he was "...just kidding".