Old February 28th 18, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

A friend of mine has a 2011 Civic and uses it for towing without problems.
This is in the UK.

Chris

At 08:07 28 February 2018, Maxx Ruff wrote:
The Australian VTi Honda Civic is rated
Towing capacity (kg)
trailer with brakes 800
trailer without brakes 500
ball down force 50

That said, I don't recommend using a small car to tow even if it seems
to tow reasonably well.
When things go wrong the trailer overwhelms the car.
In the mid 80s I had to avoid an oncoming car whose driver was dozing.
I got down to about 40KPH as the other car approached and then the
trailer began to jackknife then straighten then roll the car.
Trailer and car a write off, glider was ok, other car snuck past and
disappeared, I got a compressed vertebra.
Ruff

At 05:34 28 February 2018, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:09:43 PM UTC-8,

wrote=
:
I have a 2016 honda civic. It=E2=80=99s my only car. Has any one

towed
th=
eir glider and trailer using a small sedan like a civic?

I could not find towing capacity listed as a spec in the Civic's Owner's
Ma=
nual. I found a couple of references that say that the Civic is not

rated
f=
or towing and doing so voids the warranty, such as:

The owners manual clearly states that the Honda Civic is not rated for
towi=
ng. Put on a trailer hitch and kiss your warranty goodbye.

Go to page 395:

"Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can
voi=
d your warranties."

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

That said, you can buy tow hitches for the Civic. I recommend

contacting
yo=
ur dealer before proceeding.

Tom