Old September 19th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Tie Down Straps - Help Needed

Hi Bill,

That is a very strong accusation against the CLAW. Can you please give more
information about the circumstances of the 2 failures? Was the CLAW used
properly? It is designed for straight-up loads - not side-loads. I am
extremely impressed with the design of the CLAW. Until your post I have
heard only positive comments on it. It would seem to me (being a mechanical
engineer) that the CLAW is uniquely designed to grab hold more tightly when
a load is applied (from directly above).

The link to the flyties below does look interesting, but I don't agree that
it would be more robust than the CLAW.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message

"brianDG303" wrote in message
I always get tie down stuff from Mac's. They sell a nice strap for $5,
and check out this strap pad-

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/115/TieDowns

The CLAW- when I looked at this I decided to use flyties (
http://www.flyties.com/ ). The Claw looks like it will hold great as
long as the pulling force is directly up, but if the load moves around
it seems like the device itself would act as a lever with the near
arms prying the far stake up and out. In any case off center loads
will concentrate on individual stakes, perhaps.

Or maybe I just like the flyties better. The tool they give you to
pull the stakes out is really nice.

FWIW, I know of two gliders totaled as a result of the "claw" pulling out
of the ground. Gliders tend to repeatedly yank at their tiedowns in a
storm. This will weaken the hold of almost any stake system including the
"Claw".