View Single Post
Old March 11th 20, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default iGlide functionality

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 2:00:30 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 11:39:29 AM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:
Yeah, what Dan said. You can also use a spreadsheet program like Excel, if you want to see everything laid out in columns. CUP is just basically a comma-separated value file.

L.

I'm not a spreadsheet expert, but I guess I would edit that to say "CUP is sort of like a comma separated value file... but with diabolical use of quotation marks".

Importing a cup file into a spreadsheet is easy.

How does one save a file from a spreadsheet into a cup file and get the quote marks correct?

T8

Although some software (SeeYou?) outputs .cup files with the quotes, they are not necessary, at least in my experience (reading them into SeeYou (!) and into Tophat (XCsoar derivative).

Quotes around each item are common in the world of "comma delimited" data files, they are often called "commas and quotes", that is to avoid a comma inside a cell from splitting the entry into two cells (moving everything after that into the wrong columns).

I avoid putting commas within entries in .cup files (other than the field separators), including the "comment" field. Thus no problems.