Old May 10th 04, 08:04 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 08 May 2004 16:14:23 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

I removed over 40 Yellow Jacket nests from my yard last year and even
more the year before.

These are true yellow jackets (that nest in the ground)? Or are they paper wasps? If
the former, what are you using?

When you get this many they nest anywhere they can find.
They like the crawfish holes along the ditch, but they will build
above ground as well. The things are terrible around here.
A few years back my step daughter ran over one of the in ground nests
with the rotary lawn mower. The thing set there running for about 20
minutes (and two cans of spray) before I could move it. You'd have
thought they were trying to protect the lawn mower.

We did have a couple nests of the little ones get under the garage
floor and apron. For some strange reason they'd never bother me, but
they chased one guy down the driveway and went right around me.

We also have wasps, but they look different and aren't quite as bad
tempered.

Two of these guys got me between the shoulder blades and I thought I'd
been hit by a hammer. About 30 seconds later I was well aware it
hadn't been a hammer.

And we also have hornets. Their sting isn't quite so bad and wears
off sooner. Burns like grabbing the end of a cigarette. I haven't
smoked in 25 years, but I still remember.

I used a whole case of "Wasp and Hornet Killer" two years ago. The
stuff that is advertised to shoot 25 feet. (You do need the distance).
The last two years the Local Lowe's outlet has been bringing the stuff
in by the semi load. It sells fast too:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.