Old June 18th 04, 07:36 AM
Kevin Brooks

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Subject: resign commission for warrant officer questions
From: (1LT 15B in AH-64D)
Date: 6/17/04 4:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time
I am a 1LT in the Army National Guard, an Aviator, and I would like to
go on active duty. I have done some research and my options are to
apply to the Active Guard and Reserve or enter as a warrant. I have
been surrounded by warrants and I like them and there responsibilities
are real important and it would be a great honor to be counted in
their ranks. I cannot find out if I have to go to WOC school or not.
I have been to Federal OCS at Benning and a Federal Law Enforcement
Academy. I am interested in finding out if I have to attend yet
another candidate school. I hear it both ways but no AR has been
pointed out that states the facts definitively. Thanks for your help.

If you resign your commission you will never be a squadron commander, or a
group commander or a wing commander.

He is in the *Army*, flying AH-64's--which means he is unlikely to ever
*serve* in a squadron (which designation only applies to cavalry units in
the Army), and most definitely won't serve in a *group* ( I don't think that
there is any such critter left in the aviation side of the house, and the
remaining Army groups have danged little to do with aviation, being more
likely to be found in the engineers, transportation, and QM branches) or
*wing*.

You will never fly lead and have the
thrill of being the first over the target or the first to hit the enemy.

Being a CWO flying an AH-64 could very well place him in a position where he
is flying the lead aircraft on a mission--do you know much of anything about
modern Army aviation? Hazard a guess--which do you think is the preponderant
class of pilots in the Army's premier aviation orgnization, the 160th SOAR,
warrants or "normal" commissioned officers? Try the warrant side...

Keep
your commission. Never throw away success.

Being as you have once again proven beyond any doubt that you are utterly
clueless about anything military in the post-WWII era, the value of your
advice is rather suspect. If the guy really wants to fly on active duty, and
places flying above rank in his priority list, then taking a commission as a
CWO versus what he now has may well be a worthwhile trade. That is for him
to decide, not some has-been blowhard who obviously is so out of touch with
reality that he can't even grasp the fact that Army aviation has changed a
hell of a lot since the pre-USAF days of the USAAF. And BTW, if he were to
take a warrant, he'd likely still be a commissioned officer, strange as that
may seem to you--again, the Army has changed quite a bit over the last sixty
or so odd years.

Brooks

Arthur Kramer