Old November 21st 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Default Next glider, ownership costs question?

You could also consider an HP-11, 14, or 18.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Tr...ding_Post.html

I thought about a 1-26 as my first ship due to budget, but could not have been happier with the decision to get an HP-14 instead. Performance nearly as good as a Libelle, with the ability to land shorter than in a 1-26.

The other option is to find a partner or two looking for a $10k buy-in. Then your costs are shared, you have people to talk to who know your ship specifically, and its easier to move up down the road if you so choose.