Old August 30th 04, 05:14 AM
Jack

Olivers wrote:

sanjian extrapolated from data available...

Jack wrote:

William Black wrote:

With the exception of a few like Kerry, who was almost certainly
considering a political career even then, did anyone WANT to go to
Vietnam to fight?

Yes, plenty of USAF, Navy and Marine, and Army rated officers wanted
to go there and did.

You may be surprised to know how many of them agree with Mr. Black.

It's important to realize that most active duty officers in the US
military in the years in question were not "professionals" or as many of us
reserve officers spoke of them, "Lifers"....

Having been in the USAF through those years I am well aware of both your
and Black's points. It should be noted that even though we might assume
that true volunteers for VN were in the minority even among rated
officers, those who did volunteer were not only those with political
and/or professional ambitions, but also included those with a sincere
desire to contribute to our country's stated goals, even as Reserve or
"non-professional" officers.

I have not decided for myself yet whether it was we true believers, or
those unfortunates who were not so much in control of their own
destinies, who mere more poorly served by the misapplication of American
power in SEA. Certainly all were misused, though some satisfied their
personal goals in spite of that and are the better for it.

Jack