Old December 19th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Frank Minich

Default USS Midway Museum

"Gordon" wrote in message
ps.com...

.... I think its great! You can stand on the bow and feel the old
familiar steady wind pushing back against you - it almost feels like
the old girl is straining to pull away from the dock to turn into the
wind for launch, one last time.

Time to resume naming carriers for something other than politicians.
I like Intrepid, Midway, Saratoga, Independence (and, eventually,
Enterprise).
Don't the politicians get enough visibility already (images on money, public
schools named after them, highways, etc.)?

Frank

"Gordon" wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:
DDAY wrote:
I visited the USS Midway museum a few days ago in San Diego, thanks to

the
discussion here.

That is a beautifully preserved ship. The volunteers have done a

great job
with her. I asked a docent about a few off-limits areas. He said

that the
Admiral's quarters should be open to the public in about a year, and

they're
hoping to get CIC open as well, but have to deal with PCB issues.

I spent about 3.5 hours walking around and I imagine that when the

other
areas are open, it could take a lot longer to see everything.

The planes are beautifully restored. Only downside is that they're a

little
light on older aircraft. No Spad, for instance, and they could use

some
other Korea era aircraft as well. Also, a Seahawk would be a nice

addition.

Seahawk or 'Skyhawk'..A-4...F-4s, I hope and A-7s...

They have a humpback Scooter on the hangar deck. He's right, they
don't have a Crash Hawk, at least not yet. They do have a Corsair II,
a pair of F-4s, and are steadily increasing the size of their "air
wing". I think its great! You can stand on the bow and feel the old
familiar steady wind pushing back against you - it almost feels like
the old girl is straining to pull away from the dock to turn into the
wind for launch, one last time.

v/r Gordon
20+ landings on USS Midway (granted not many, but I still have a
connection to her)