Old October 22nd 03, 12:57 PM
Chris OCallaghan

I have to admit, I'm looking for an edge.

A variety of tasking options for "fun" contests, especially those that
recognize and compensate for a wide variety of gliders and pilot
skills, is a good thing. I enjoy participating in these. The object
isn't so much to win the day, but to share the experience with your
friends. It's more like a rally than a race.

That's not a criticism, simply an observation that they are different.
The rally should focus on the fun, the race should focus on the
challenge. If fun and challenge seep into the other, all the better,
but each should be true to its intent.

At MASA, long before the MAT, we used the COMPOST. We would set a
small, close in task, tailored to the LCD among gliders and pilots,
then append a pilot option task with minimum time at the end. This
allowed low time or low performance gliders to compete with the gaggle
(and learn from other competitors), then offered the option of coming
home for beer or snatching up more turnpoints.