Old March 5th 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Flarmnet

wrote on 3/4/2020 5:19 PM:
Lets see.... coming up on 7,000 hours all med and low level flying, ....6 years with flarm or adsb equipment, I don’t think you will find I am low time lol.

As for “staring at your flarm”, thats an expression, read the whole context, the point is dependance upon instrumentation vs proper airmanship. Name every one glider midair that has occurred in level cruising flight and I will give you 8 that occured in gaggles. Flarm is useless there, its your eyes and situational awareness that give you the best chance of staying alive. Do I use collision avoidance technology? Yes, do I depend on it? No. I think I will live longer, my flight hours without serious incident are proving it. I hope you have the same track record now and in the future.

I've used Flarm in many gaggles. It does not seem useless to me. Perhaps it
depends to some extent on the gliders in the gaggle; eg, all 1-26s flying tightly
and slowly might cause more unnecessary warnings than a bunch of open class gliders.