Old September 7th 18, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Vario Comparison

On 9/6/2018 7:21 PM, Mike Borgelt wrote:
if the aircraft is wanting to go a certain way and you are trying to force it to go another, just go with the aircraft as it is departing from controlled flight. Good advice IMO.

Exactly!Â* I had an incident two years ago while attempting to establish
in the wave in the lee of a mountain at about 2,500' AGL. The glider
suddenly rolled to the right and pitched down though I was well above
stall speed (and I understand AoA).Â* My response was to immediately
center the ailerons and add plenty of forward stick until the glider
flew out of the departure.Â* Of course I missed the wave that day...
--
Dan, 5J