Old September 9th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Vario Comparison

AOA devices are becoming very common in the experimental/homebuilt airplane world. A recent publication from the FAA (!) recommended that pilots consider getting a AOA sensor installed in their airplane. The newer completed aircraft in the famous Vans Aircraft RV series are almost all equipped with a AOA device.

I have been investigating a AOA system to install in gliders for several years but keep running into challenges due to flaps and spoilers and their effect on the system. The whole device is very easy if the airflow and overall AOA doesn't change much with configuration changes.

One fix is to set the system primarily for landing and disable it for other flight regimes. Unfortunately that means you can't use the best L/D AOA, or other selected angles to correct for weight changes.

I also have a Raspberry Pi and considered just starting to log the data for my glider. This winter I'm doing a refinish; maybe that a good time to install the pressure sensors and start logging.

Mike