Old September 15th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vario Comparison

On Saturday, 15 September 2018 09:43:19 UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, 14 September 2018 21:37:03 UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
The difference is the slow response of the mechanical ASI damps the transients, whereas an electronic device can respond fast enough to track them.

OK, understood, thank you. This generates a new question from me (sorry if this is turning out to be a lesson in instrumentation design...):

Can you slow down the response of your electronic system so that it behaves similarly to your mechanical ASI, or does this bring on poorer performance elsewhere?

Please disregard my previous comments and questions. I just read Mike Borgelt's 'Horizontal Gusts' article and this article gives answers to my questions.