Old March 15th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default best bet under 10K

wrote:
Bob Whelan wrote:

Taking your question at face value (i.e. reading nothing into your
situation, motivation, flying background, performance druthers, etc.),
if patient you'll eventually find other ships than 1-26's sub-$10K.

No need to guess. I left soaring about ten years ago because I didn't
have the funds to match my flying expectations. I had gained my licence
flying club ships, and I was at the point where I could stay up in good
conditions for the 30 and 60 minute slots that were available on them.
But it was clear that to take the next steps into soaring and early
cross-country work, I really needed a glider of my own. Not possible on
a student budget, so I drifted away.

Things are much better now, moneywise, and I am thinking of getting
back into the sport. I expect I could get back my old skills in a few
months flying club ships. But then I would be back where I was before,
needing to get a ship of my own. At the risk of whingeing, the prices
for used modern gliders ($20-30K) aren't daunting longterm, but they
are intimidating up front. I would be much happier paying $8K of so for
a glider I could use for a few years, and then trade up.

Welcome back! Whether you go the partner route or on your own, to me it
seems what you've said above is reflective of some thoughtful thinking
on your part. That's a good thing, as, FWIW, my observational - and
personal - experience has been those who know what ticks their clock and
so have a realistic grasp on what it is they hope to get from the sport,
along with a sensible expectation of such important things as time
available to devote to the activity, learning curve times, realistic
outlook on risk management/tolerance, etc., tend to be the most
satisfied in their early ship choices. IMHO, ships always have more to
teach than lower-time pilots considering purchasing them can imagine.
That's not meant to be condescending, rather it reflects the almost
unimaginably vast reservoir of information awaiting individual personal
discovery in the sky. Have fun!

Regards,
Bob W.