Old January 15th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Douglas Paterson

Default Cherokee 235 vs Trinidad vs Comanche

"Dave S" wrote in message
link.net...

I've been in the TB9 before, which is the 160 hp version..the
trainer/entry level plane. I agree that the airframe is AWESOME.. great
vis, great ergonomics, great handling. The tb9 version is underpowered but
that shouldnt be a prob in the -20. I can tell you hands down that the tb9
is not acceptable for where you are. Two big guys and a tankful of gas we
ran out of lift at 8000 feet, and had anemic climb rates at sea level
compared to the others. Its a big airframe.

However. Ongoing costs may be the "gotcha" here. what are the costs for
airframe parts, where do they come from (europe?. If you want a newer
cruiser, this may be the plane for you, but its not as common as the other
american brands.

Agreed on the TB-9's unsuitability for my mission--I eliminated it from
consideration long ago. I suppose if I were at a lower elevation it might
be a good trainer and/or a cheaper way to build Socata experience, but even
then it wouldn't be on my short list for purchase.

As to parts, my understanding from the Socata Owners' Forum is that yes,
they do originate in Europe, but Socata US (or whatever they call
themselves), located in South Florida, has a superb record of customer
support and keeping the supply lines open. I won't embarrass myself by
calling anything aviation-related "cheap," but I've been led to believe that
it's no worse (cost or availability) than any other brand/model.

Indeed, I've been told that the Comanche is particularly *expensive* in this
regard, since parts are getting harder and harder to find at any price
(which is, I believe, the reason the insurance is so much higher?). Factor
in the 20-years-newer factor to boot, and I should think "in general" that
one would be buying more airframe parts for a Comanche than a Trinidad to
begin with....

I've no problem admitting I'm a newbie here--if I'm out to lunch on any of
this thought process, please!, set me straight!

Thanks!
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight