Old January 26th 11, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default Flyability of Biplane Flying Boat

Op 26/01/2011 09:32, durabol schreef:
I have been working on a biplane flying boat (similar to some in the
early 1900s). Rough weight estimates a fuselage/tail/controls 200,
Rotax 503/5Gal fuel 150, wings 150, me 225 = 725 gross. The reason for
the biplane configuration is for the large wing area (250sq.ft) I feel
will be needed to get off the water. Any opinion on whether this will
work? Perhaps I could get by with less wing area? I would also like
tandem seating if the design can handle the extra weight.

I can't help telling you to calculate the wing area you want rather than
feeling it, sorry if that sounds rude.
Also I seem to understand taking off from water will merely require a
longer run to reach lift-off speed, but then the very reason for taking
off from water is the availability of long straight flat areas of it.

Compared to a "conventional" aircraft, a hydroplane has more drag; that
requires more engine power to counter, not more wing surface.

BTW you left me in a bit of doubt about how to interpret your figures:
are your weights lbs or kgs? But I think it may be assumed you are
US'an, and talking feet and pounds.