Old January 13th 05, 02:33 PM
Shawn

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
You did nothing wrong. Although I enjoy these venues personally, the
immediate results are very dismal. In five years of mall shows, school
venues, airport open houses, and EAA regional fly ins, my club gained
exactly two members, a father and son that were power pilots that lasted
about six months. Soaring belongs to the seeker. However, planting the
idea in the minds of the young people that pass by may yield long term
dividends. I aim for the 12 and 13 year olds. Most of our newer members
have come from the ranks of rated pilots who've decided to learn to soar
however.

If you have the time and an inside contact, colleges and universities seem
to be the most fruitful recruiting grounds. Students are looking for new
experiences, but often have little money.

Frank Whiteley

I remember a few Mall displays from when I was a kid (at least 12) in
Colorado Springs. I was all wide eyed. I also remember the guys there
were fairly unenthusiastic about talking to me, and I was the kid that
would ride my bike a dozen miles each way just to watch the gliders at
Black Forest GP. Lost chances. Mixed result for me though. I didn't
start flying until I was 28, but it got me started in cycling at age 14.
:-)

Shawn