Old September 14th 04, 02:26 AM
Leon McAtee

(Ryan Young) wrote in message . com...

It's probably not carrying any loads. A basic tenet of structural
design is that the stiffest load path carries the load, and the bolts
through the angle and into the case (secured with nuts and washers
inside the sump, before the engine is assembled) seem a bunch stiffer
that the epoxy.

Been there, done that. The epoxy is more of a feel good thing. File
the sides of the sump flat, spot face the inside surface and bolt the
thing together with the bolt heads inside (no washers). Use some blue
Locktight on the heads and torque to the normal specs for the
fastener used and it won't leak.......at least that's been my
experience. A bit of Ultra Grey silicone doesn't seem to
hurt, as long as you get things torqued before it sets. You want good
metal to metal contact so things don't move around.

As for the corrosion issue, I haven't had any problems and I've
adapted this method to my ground bound VW's for attaching home brew
block heaters to the side since the old style oil sump things are so
hard or impossible to find anymore. If the corrosion isn't a real
problem driving on salted roads it shouldn't be a problem on an
aircraft.

All the above based on my personal experience only
Leon McAtee
Still looking for Aeronca C-2/3 factory drawings