Old October 28th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default Outside Air Tempeture Instrument in Glider

Some flight computers have temperature gauges built in or that can be
retrofitted. You can buy one made for a car at Radio Shack; they have a
probe that can be pushed into your fresh air inlet. Reaction time on any
of them is much too slow for identifying thermals; stick to your vario for
that.

At 13:26 28 October 2008, wrote:
I plan on installing a tempeture guage inside the cockpit of my
glider. I think it's a good thing to have that can add to safety.
For instance, it's nice to know just how hot it is during those summer
days on a short runway. Also, to know if your in potential icing
conditions at altitudes. I've hit some bad icing before in the
spring, at 15,000 feet that iced over my windshield so bad I couldn't
see out even with the windshield heat on (in an aircraft).

Most of all, I'm real interested to find out if anyone has installed
one and noticed a tempeture change when entering a thermal?

Can it be used, in anyway, to help center a thermal? Seek out a
thermal?