Old January 21st 05, 02:35 PM
Charlie Wolf

I was enlisted aircrew for 20 years and we generally avoided the
catchy "callsign" phenom -

Well, exept for one of our guys whose nick was "Beans". Real name was
John Van Kampen. Later became an NFO and kept the nick.

We also had a JO in the squadron with a very apt nickname of "Splash".
He got it on a very dark night while he was prefilghting the "ready"
bird, whose tail section was hanging over the deck edge. He attempted
to preflight the back end of the airplane and quite simply walked over
the side of the Nimitz. A/C was spotted right near the crotch of the
angle deck next to cat 2 and therefore had a gap in the safety netting
below the deck edge. Happy ending --- he survived but only due to the
great skill of the MWB crew.

Regards,

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:41:47 -0000, "José Herculano"
wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

=)

José Herculano