Old January 24th 05, 05:23 PM
Peter R.

) wrote:

Anyone else have this problem? The rep says all the larger aircraft do
and that this is just part of maintenance, sort of like changing your
oil (my interpretation). Too bad these delicate displays are about the
best on the market (for their size) otherwise I'd love to get rid of it.

Yes, my MX-20 has had this problem twice. The first time was under the
previous owner, who sent it in for warranty repair sometime around fall
2002.

The second time, last May, occurred under my watch. When the aircraft
went down for its annual, I contacted Garmin's Apollo tech group and
explained that the exact problem had occurred again. This tech asked
me to send the unit in and that it would be repaired under warranty
again.

I recall that he mentioned either a design flaw or poor chips causing
the problem and that it had been permanently corrected with this latest
fix my unit was about to receive.

At no time did he ever mention anything about an 18 month life cycle.
Your story has me concerned.

--
Peter