Old March 28th 04, 05:35 PM
Dan Luke

"C J Campbell" wrote:
I know of a bizjet that departed controlled flight near Geneva,
Switzerland about four years ago. The crew was only able to
regain control by shutting down all the electronic avionics.
They were getting extreme oscillations in
pitch and altitude excursions in excess of 6,000 feet.

Was that due to a software crash?

I seem to recall that the famous video of an Airbus 320 descending

into the
trees near Paris had something to do with a dispute between the pilot

and
the software about what the airplane was going to do.

Not due to a software crash.

An Osprey crashed on December 11, 2000 when the software failed
and the crew could not reset the computers. They pushed the reset
button eight times in ten seconds and the computers failed to respond.

That's one.

KAL 801 descended below glide slope and crashed into terrain
because of software failure on the ground.

But not a software failure in the airplane?

I can easily see a pilot losing control of a perfectly good airplane
because his panel suddenly displayed the blue screen of death.

I can too, I just don't think it's going to happen enough to be a
serious safety issue, if at all.

I think that overall the glass cockpits will reduce the number of
accidents.

I hope so. It hasn't worked out that way for Cirrus, but it's still
early days.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM