Old November 7th 04, 12:19 AM
vincent p. norris

I don't mind turbulence and have flown in some really nasty stuff.....

Turbulence usually signifies cumuloform clouds and clear, instead of
rime, ice. Clear ice, as you no doubt know, is much worse than rime.

I've picked up rime ice quite a few times, with no problem. But one
April day, years ago, near Williamsport, PA, (Great Lakes area) I
picked up so much clear ice in cumuloform clouds in about ten minutes
that my Chrokee 180 was down to 80 knots with full power and barely
holding altitude.

I could not have stayed in the air much longer. I had a Plan B,
because ceilings were 2000 with great viz below (typical post-cold
front wx) and I could divert to land at Williamsport.

vince norris