Old May 9th 05, 03:51 AM
Jay Honeck

Do you use the same spark plugs (and same heat range) as before going to
mogas?

Yep. Although because they foul too easily with 100LL (which we must buy on
long-cross-country flights), I'm probably going to go with a hotter plug
when these die.

Do you lean, and how lean? What kind of numbers do you usually see in
different regimes of flight (EGT, CHT)? Obviously detonation hasn't been
a problem for you, I'm curious how hot you can get away with on that
engine with regular auto fuel.

Sure do. At take off power, full rich, we're burning 25 gph. At cruise we
tend to run 23 squared, leaned back to 15 gph. At this setting we'll see
EGTs in the 1350 - 1450 degree range, and CHTs in the 300 - 325 degree
range.

We can, of course, throttle back to 20 squared, and burn 10 gph or less.
Danged engine is so quiet at that power setting, it's almost spooky.

OK, 3 questions, if you save a buck a gallon on 5000 gallons, and but
$2500 to the next overhaul, the other $2500 must buy a lot of good beer,
right?

Nah, beer is extra! :-)

The Grape itself cost $1800, and the tank/pump installation (and a couple of
other things) make up the other $700 or so.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA