Old November 11th 05, 01:27 PM

Default Departing IFR at SMO w/ Tower Closed

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

wrote in message news:nTScf.603$7A.44@fed1read04...

I accept that, for sake of discussion. But, once the aircraft enters
Class E airspace, and the TRACON sees it on radar, are you telling me that
the TRACON does not have absolute control over the aircraft at that point
in time?

Yes, that's what I'm telling you. Controllers provide ATC services in
accordance with the procedures and minima in FAA Order 7110.65. That
weighty tome tells them if a published IFR departure procedure is not
included in an ATC clearance, compliance with such a procedure is the
pilot's prerogative. See the note following subparagraph 4-3-2.c.3.

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/Chp4/atc0403.html#4-3-2

So, let me ask it again: I elect to use the ODP at KSMO because the
tower is closed and I am in Class G airspace. I am told to contact
SoCal on 123.45. I takeoff flying the ODP and establish radio contact
with SoCal. Leaving 700 feet, agl (entering Class E) SoCal just has to
sit on their hands and let me do my thing until I complete the ODP even
though they can't maintain separation unless they start vectoring me?