Old January 12th 05, 08:30 PM
Aaron Hicks

I used to be a radar operator on a project to track the number of
birds passing through a wind corridor for migratory research. The radar
had been tweaked to give us horizontal and vertical profiles. Remarkably,
we found birds- and lots of them- traveling at night, even in very cold
weather. I never did find out how they kept their eyes from freezing over.

We tracked them in southern Montana during the migratory season,
well into October or November, maybe even December. Of course, the number
of animals dropped rapidly as the migration wound down.

Someone suggested it might have been a bat. It's too cold this
time of the year; they're all in hibernation in that neck of the woods. (I
used to help count bats, too, being a caver and all.)

The address in the header is bogus. Send no e-mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ