Old October 24th 20, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Barographs?

Jim S wrote on 10/24/2020 10:28 AM:
Thanks Eric, Will see if I can find one of those. Having a manufacturer name will help.

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 11:48:09 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Jim S wrote on 10/24/2020 8:02 AM:
I was mainly interested in the mechanical, smoke type. Was not interested in one for competition but mainly to use for historical interests.
I’m not a collector necessarily in aviation items but I do have two aviation sextants (A-10) and a drift meter. Although I don’t shoot stars, the sun and the moon from the cockpit, I have spent a fair amount of time shooting the sun in my backyard.
Wanting a workable barograph is in line with these interests.

The Replogle is a mechanical, wind-up barograph that can use smoked foil, but the pressure
sensitive chart paper was much easier to use. I did use smoked foil a few times on a ???
barograph, but it was messy to smoke the foil, and misting some lacquer on it after the flight
was tricky - so easy to smudge the smoke on the foil and lose the trace. So, smoked foil to GPS
traces - I prefer the GPS traces for flying, but the Replogle is prominent on my "shelf museum".

Winter is another manufacturer that made mechanical, windup barograph. They were bigger,
heavier, and more expensive, as I recall.