Old May 25th 10, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Barographs?

On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:52:04 -0700, Tony wrote:

On May 24, 3:45Â*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On May 24, 1:39Â*pm, Tony wrote:

club who are barograph free not to mention the club itself only has 1
barograph but 3 gliders. Â*I just like the idea of having a few
barographs around in case one of my students or friends are going
flying on a day where a badge leg or state record could be claimed.

Bah, save yourself a ton of trouble. Â*Buy a self-contained unit like
the ewMicroRecorder. Â*Its perfect for a club setting, has an internal
battery, a simple on-off switch (and no other complications), and
requires just a standard USB cable (or SD card reader) to download your
flight. Â*If you want to get "fancy" you can hook it up to a PDA for a
moving-map navigation system; but if you just want to log flights you
only need what comes in the box!

Take care,

--Noel

i just saw one used on W&W. Based on what I paid for my last Replogle
we could have 8 barographs ready to go in club ships, privately owned
single seaters, whatever, for the price of one EW.

Keep your eyes open for a used EW model D and a Garmin 12XL[1] or GPS II+
to drive it. The combo should be rather cheaper. The model D is rugged
and simple to use (only one button) and runs off 12v or its one internal
9v battery.

[1] if you go for a Garmin 12, make sure its the 12XL, which takes 6-40v
input just like the GPS II+ and III+ do. The earlier 12 requires 6v and
is destroyed if you connect it to 12v. How I know: a club mate found this
out the hard way.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK