Old May 25th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Barographs?

Approval for position recorders is up to each national organization.
Currently there's a few of us working on approving some units for
US badge claims. *The FlyWithCE recorder that Wings & Wheels
carries should be approved any time now, based on the approval
that Australia already did for the unit. *Tim carries that unit for
a very reasonable price. *You can use that (if you also carry
a barograph) for badge claims up through Gold.

The position recorder/barograph combo that was added to the Sporting
Code last October is definitely an exciting step in the right
direction but I'm not sure what problem it really solves. Any badge
flight you can claim with the position recorder/barograph combo can be
done with the barograph alone.

The only badge leg that cannot be accomplished with a Barograph only
is Diamond Goal and the position recorder cannot be used for Diamond
claims.

I suppose it will be handy for people who dont want to land away from
home. But my feelings on free distance are pretty well documented
here I'd rather spend the 100 bucks on 5 more tows or some gas for
the crew car so I get to explore new places.