Old July 28th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Wescott[_2_]

Default What size propeller for a 36 V DC motor?

On 07/28/2010 12:40 PM, Morgans wrote:

Does the forward push on an ordinary electric motor cause abnormal
wear on the bearings? Or maybe that is countered/supported by the
magnetic part of the motor?

Very good point. The bearings do take all of the load, called thrust,
and it depends on the type of bearing whether it can stand the end load.
Most likely that motor would not do well. It would be best to use a
geared adapter to turn the prop, and that will remove the thrust load
from the motor. Check model supply places for a suitable gearbox.

I seriously doubt that you are going to get more than 8 pounds of thrust
out of that motor, even with the ideal gearbox and prop. Probably not
going to do well to move a person on skates.

I hadn't realized this was part of the whole skater thing.

You'll do much better to drive the skate wheels with the motor --
driving a vehicle by pushing on the air is just not efficient, it makes
little sense to do so if you can drive a wheel.

(For obvious reasons you can't make an airplane go by driving the wheels
-- hence, propellers).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services