Old November 12th 18, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Default Auto-retracting spool for auto-towing gliders?

We have done auto tows for years from a dry lake in SE Oregon, where we used a solid steel wire and dragged it back after each tow. That's why we fabricated our pay out winch. It is much more efficient, and quicker than dragging the wire, and there is much less wear on the cable. We use a spectra like cable now, and I get very few brakes and splicing is much easier and better. It will also crush the drum if you don't make the drum very stout. Our first version of our winch used a large starter motor, but it just didn't have enough power to pull the chute down in high winds, which is when the winch works best.

Boggs