Old August 17th 17, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Temporarily operating a German registered glider in the US

I thought the referenced CFR was quite clear. It was my FSDO who
brought it to my attention.

Please read it again.

On 8/16/2017 1:25 PM, CindyB wrote:
On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 7:39:58 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 8/15/2017 8:33 PM, 2G wrote:

snipped - cb

I flew my Stemme under Mexican registration from Laredo, TX to
Payson, AZ after checking with my FSDO.

--

Dan, 5J

Interesting, but within the purview of the FSDO. If they gave you a written permission slip, you were golden. I wouldn't have done it without something in writing from them. ;-)

Your FAR reference as highlighted redirected my attention in a new courseline. Hmmm, they authorize a US pilot to fly the D-registered glider? I hadn't read it that way before. Maybe!

But as to the machine used, here's another clip from FAR's:

91.711 - Fly it and speak English to ATC, etc.
91.715 - Apply for a SFA for an alternate registered airframe.

And amazingly, 91.715 applied before 9/11. My guess is they would deal with you like a Program letter for an EXP Exhibition & Racing US registered glider.

Let's just hope that a FSDO doesn't mess with our D-registered visitors, as they are in conformity with the previously discussed alternatives.

Still lurking,
Cindy B
Region 12 Director

--