Old May 17th 05, 12:05 AM
Roger

On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:08:42 -0700, "aluckyguess" wrote:

I was wondering what it would be like if a bird got caught in the prop, if
it would be a bloody massacre.
"tony roberts" wrote in message
Good story, but your instructor should not have allowed you to take off
again after a bird strike.
--

Agreed. When you hit something, check it out... carefully.

As to the mess? It depends on the size of the bird, engine RPM, and
no little luck.

I've told this before, but...
I hit a bird With a Cherokee 180 on take off at 3BS. It appeared to
be about the size of a big pigeon. It looked like it had gone through
the pop, hit the windshield and bounced off. (No mess).

However, I was uneasy, made the circuit back and landed.
When I opened the cowl I found the area between the two cylinders on
the pilot's side to be packed solid with bird. By the smell (good),
one more circuit and it would have been ready to serve, but so would
the engine.

Had I not checked we'd have been in for a very expensive top at the
least.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Tony Roberts