Old October 15th 03, 05:53 AM
Snowbird

(PaulH) wrote in message . com...
I took my checkride yesterday, and when I attached my Sporty's
flip-down foggles to my glasses, the examiner nearly had heart failure
- "you can't use those!!!!!!!"
I'd like to find something that
a. works well with glasses
b. can wear with my Lightspeed 25xl headphones
c. allows good view of panel without turning head
d. light weight
e. eliminates peripheral vision

Opinions desired.

How about instructions instead? I face the same issues -- hoodlamb
doesn't work w/ lightspeeds.

What I did is take an ordinary pair of cheap clip-on, flip-down
sunglasses. I taped black construction paper to the front and
fiddled until I cut out a good instrument viewing window in a
rectangle shape across the bottom. Then I got craft foam (buy at
Wal-mart, Michaels, JoAnnes etc--$.25-.80), a thin sheet of closed
cell foam. I
cut a front piece and glued over my clip-ons, cut both foam and
clip-ons
using construction paper as a template. I cut side pieces and glued
them to the front using craft glue with triangular shaped small
braces.
The foam extends above the glasses and I cut it to a curve to fit my
forehead so I can flip the glasses up but it blocks additional visual
cues when it's down.

Advantages: cheap, light, wear w/ lightspeeds and glasses, blocks
peripheral vision very well. make them as view-limiting as you
like, customized to your instrument panel.

Disadvantages: block peripheral vision when flipped up (but are
easily removed completely). it does take two hands (so far) to
put them on neatly.