Old September 10th 03, 08:22 PM
tongaloa

But what kind/species shark tastes enough like scallops that they can
pass it off along with the wheel and real scallops?

I say it's an urban myth.
I've eaten a lot of different shark/skate/ray meat and none of it is
even close to scallops. Yes, as with most seafood, the best is
eaten live and fresh from the sea. Have to watch those parasites though.
Liver flukes, fish tapeworm, ...Live crab is tasty but man, do you ever
want to know it's history!

-Bob

Ron Natalie wrote:
"tongaloa" wrote in message ...

What kind of shark? I've heard this before and can never find anyone
who can tell me. I mean, if the shark is good enough to pass as
scallop, then I'm better off buying shark. All the shark I've had
tastes like shark.

Bad shark tastes like bad scallops. Mushy texture fishy.
A fresh scallop has a quite distinctive flavor and texture. Our
local sushi bar once brought us scallops that were still breathing.