Old December 14th 03, 09:25 PM
Kevin Brooks

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Could anyone tell me examples of 1st..5th? generation fighters and
other planes and what seperates them? (Apart from time)

Good question, and one I asked an intel officer shortly after becoming

mission
qualified in the BUFF. Here's the way he layed it out:

1st Generation (early jet fighter) - MiG-15,17,19 or F-84, F-86

I believe you'd want to move the Mig-19 to the next category--it was IIRC
"early supersonic" on the Soviet side, generally comparable to the F-100.

2nd Generation (early supersonic)- MiG-21 or Century Series

3rd Generation (advanced supersonic) - MiG-23 or F-4

4th Generation ("next generation") - MiG-25, 29, 31, Su-27 or F-14,15,16

5th Generation (???) - MiG 1.42, Su-30 series or FA/22, F-35

Not sure how universaly accepted that is. I thought there was a lot of
hoopla a couple of years back about the JAS-39 being (at least claimed to
be) the "first" fourth generation fighter to enter service, with the F/A-22,
F-35, Rafael, and Eurofighter being lumped into that category as well?

Brooks

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"