Old October 23rd 03, 04:11 PM
Peter Dohm

These engines were used, I assume with some success, in aircraft such
as the Jodel D9; and were claimed, by the aircraft plans provider, to
produce roughly 24 or 25 horsepower at typical aircraft engine rotational
speeds.

The Jodel had an empty weight just over 300 pounds, gross weight of about
500 pounds, and supposedly cruised around 60 statute miles per hour with
a takeoff run of less than 250 feet and obstacle clearance distance of less
than 500 feet. Little has been heard of the D9 or similar aircraft since
ultra lights ceased to be foot-launched.

Please be aware that the VW engines of 1200 cc and less displacement, and
probably the 1300 cc engine as well, had a serious oil pressure problem
in long term service. The camshaft of these early engines rode directly
in the crankcase halves without bearing liners. As wear occurred, some
mechanics attempted to have the mating surfaces of the case halves milled
and the complete case line-bored. The process was only partially effective
and it was generally impossible to fully restore oil pressure to these
engines on any long term basis.

Please also remember that VW engines from relatively new cars with only a
few thousand miles of use were dirt cheap in wrecking yards and that new
engines were available at very reasonable prices from every VW dealer in
both the US and France (were the D9 was designed) when these aircraft were
designed and for about two decades after that.

Another aircraft using similar power was the Stewart Headwind. Mr. Stewart
is still in business selling plans for his designs and has a web site at
http://www.StewartAircraft.com/main.html

Personally, I agree with BD5ER and JFLEISC that you should treat the 36hp
engine as having primarily antique value and choose something else to
power your project.

Peter

Claton Cadmus wrote:

I have a 1959 36HP VW engine and would like information and opinions
on converting this for use in a small single place homebuilt. Also
can anyone tell me or point me to a source of this engines HP and,
more importantly, torque vs RPM curve.

Thanks Claton