Old October 5th 03, 05:16 AM
Blair Maynard

"Gordon" wrote in message
Engine noise on aircraft has always been a problem, specifically on combat
(non-passenger) types. On some aircraft, you can tell which position a

person
is sitting at by how much engine noise bleeds over to the ICS. Even

something
as small as a B-25 has noticeable engine noise and high freq tones

bleeding
over when you key the ICS, so I really can't see how a crew aboard a Lanc

could
use their normal speaking voices and be heard. As for the technology of
noise-canceling microphones in 1943, I think its implausible that a Lanc

would
be fitted with a system equipped with such microphones for every member of

the
crew - I agree with the guys who feel this is a studio-done, or
studio-cleaned-up, product.

If crew members had to yell over the mics to be heard, then it could not
have been a cleaned up recording. The speakers are not yelling. You could
filter out the engine sound, but a yelling voice is clearly noticible and no
filtration could make it sound like those voices, they were not yelling. If
you accept the premise that Lancaster crew members had to yell to be heard
over the intercom, it must have been a reenacted scene.

I don't doubt that the dialogue came primarily
from a Lanc crew, but its too clean! Think of what its like in a WWII

bomber -
you can barely hear yourself think. The drone of those Merlins would be
present on the recordings no matter what measures were taken to screen

them out
- it would be like recording a dialogue aboard the "Maid of the Mist", and
somehow screening out the sounds of Niagra Falls, a few feet away. How

likely
is that? My hunch is that the BBC guys did fly along on the mission, did
record it, and brought it back and (at a minimum) cleaned it up before
broadcast.
Next, I'd like to hear a recording of the Reichsjägerweile - the "running
commentary" radio broadcasts that occurred over Northern Europe during

massive
Allied raids. Once the EW stations were overwhelmed, the Lulftwaffe

ground
controllers switched to this commentary to tell units where and how the

battle
raged - "Many trucks over Dortmund, heading Southward at 7,000 meters; at
fifteen after the hour, Christmas trees and duppel were dropped over

Hanover
for what appears to be a feint attack. All aircraft in sector FA are

ordered
to land for refueling and await further orders. Pfadfinder reported

dropping
flares on Osnabruck in advance of a strong raid..." etc. Hour after hour

of
the details of a strike, from the enemy perspective. I think it would be
highly interesting to hear, but as far as I know, there are no recordings
available...?

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR Aircrew