Old November 14th 03, 02:12 AM

Steven Barnes wrote:
: Heh, on the way back from the avionics shop to get the IFR cert done and a
: new VOR head installed, the LEDs went out on our #1 comm (KX-155). The first
: 2 digits ( 121.9, the 12 is gone). Just went out in flight. What is
: involved in replacing the LEDs? Is it the whole cover?

Along those lines, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions
for my KN-53 Nav. It's got similar plasma display as the KX-155, but
blanks out when it's really humid in the plane... like after a rain and
it's cold and damp in there. I took the lid off and snooped around for
cold solder joints, but couldn't find any. Upon poking around, I grounded
the high-voltage (using my fingertips... slightly unexpeted... yeoch!).
That blanked the digits too... SO, I'm thinking that it's a high-impedance
"short" when it's humid that kills the HV drive for the display. Any
thoughts on a coating, spacer, insulator? Sound plausible?

Thanks,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *