Old June 23rd 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default Closed Airspace

Yes.. IFR traffic can be cleared through the MOA if IFR separation can be
assured.
He can do it if he is controlling the MOA users and ask them to either stay
in one corner while you blast through, or give them a "hard deck" above your
altitude while you transition.

If the MOA is being controlled by a military controller running intercepts
with the active players, the military controller most likely did not want to
bother with you, did not want you on frequency and told the Civil ATC to
keep you.

BT

"Mike Granby" wrote in message

He should have listed the airspace by name..
did he? A Restricted area or MOA?

Nope. Just "airspace closure".

He cannot clear non participating IFR aircraft through an
active MOA. Non Participating means that you are not
part of those that are reserving the MOA.

My understanding is that IFR traffic can be cleared through a MOA if
ATC can ensure separation, so presumably there are some cases when
they can, and some cases when they can't. I wonder what defines which
case it is?

I'm surprised he offered traffic advisories while you were in the MOA.

Yep.

Perhaps he knew that those reserving it were not
there yet, but it had "gone hot" and he could not
sued it for IFR traffic.

Would make sense.