Old February 2nd 15, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default video - pilot runs out of fuel, pops parachute

Bug Dout wrote in
:

Skywise writes:

it reminds
me to be very very thorough when I write my software.

Being thorough doesn't prevent errors in any activity...it might only
reduce the frequency of errors.

True. Rarely is software perfect. But that's no excuse NOT to
make the effort.

I'm just a little astounded that the software engnineers at Garmin
did not have account for all data inputs going out of expected ranges,
in either direction. Yeah, how can a fuel tank ever be more full than
"Full", but obviously it happened, and the system failed due to the
lack of checking.

Failure to bounds check data input is why a lot of software breaks,
or allows hackers to run malicious code. Look up "buffer overflow".

I'll make it easy for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

Brian
--