Old December 27th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 10:52:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 12:40:59 AM UTC-5, V1 wrote:
I wouldn’t argue with the suggestions for foot/boot insulation – that’s all good. I would only add a perspective on treating causes vs. symptoms.

... A key point is that the reason (cause) for hands/feet/ears/etc. getting cold is that our core (chest & central organs) are getting cool, so our body compensates to protect the core by reducing blood flow to the extremities (symptom). ...
- Frank Allen

OK, but people do differ. In my case, with rather long and very skinny legs, my feet (and fingers) get cold even when my core is quite warm and even sweaty. Long underpants and/or leggings like flubber mentioned do help. But like I said, there was a huge change in my feet comfort in cold conditions when I changed from a glider with the transparent canopy extending to the feet vs. one with the feet and lower legs in the shade.

If your feet get cold, wear a bigger/better hat. I use a knitted cap with thinsulate. I switch from a normal soaring hat when I get off tow. Also, I switch socks just before takeoff to reduce moisture, and spray my feet with antiperspirant in the morning. Making sure you don't sweat getting the glider ready is also critical.