Old October 1st 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ebby

Default Flyboys Movie: the aircraft

That CGI was excellent on your posted link. The paint jobs looked a little
too pristine though. The motion was great when the twin landed on one wheel
and then made a couple rudder corrections on the landing rollout. Very well
done. I know the old rotary engines had enourmous torque issues yet it
looked to me, in Flyboys, they had performance characteristics outside the
real envelope. IOW too agile.

Ebby
"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:18:48 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

Ebby wrote:

CGI planes are better than the models on strings from older pictures but
wish they could program some fuzzy logic into the algorithms so the
planes
moved more realistically.

I haven't seen this movie yet, will probably go this weekend, but what
I have noticed with CGI planes in movies is that the shots are always
'perfect', I mean, no camera shaking, always good lighting, always
correctly framed; which might be one reason why the thing does not
look 'real' especially in action scenes, because intuitively we do
expect imperfections; I mean even if the flight model is in fact
perfect as well. The only tv serie / movie where I have seen a
deliberate effort to introduce imperfections in CGI scenes were the
sci-fi serie firefly / serenity, and it is pretty effective...

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...6-merlins.mpeg

But it's not Hollywood. It's a guy in Japan making stuff for his own
amusement.